Thursday, June 3, 2010

Memories of Granny...

Not sure what has sparked my thoughts....but here lately I've been thinking about my memories of my Granny Spencer. Maybe it was our visit on Saturday, to the Point Church of Christ. I walked thru the new building, and couldn't help but think about the old one. The pulpit faced the other way for one thing. There was no nice kitchen, as there is now. I remember going with Granny, to church, a long time ago. I remember craw fishing in her front yard. I remember that she had a napkin pinned to the window of her front door. I can remember Papa Spencer with a flat tooth pick in his mouth. I remember the rocking chair, the washer and dryer being in the dining room (and I think they were green), neapolitan ice cream, sugar wafer cookies, her car parked right outside the door off the kitchen, the bowls that I now have in my cabinet being used to make those wonderful oatmeal cookies and macaroni and cheese, the rooms being referred to as "Raymond and Barbara's" but never hearing where Mom's room was. I remember her visiting our first house in Celina and actually getting in the pool and her legs floating up. I also remember the dresser in her bed room, the heater in the bathroom, and her flowers being beautiful all the time. Some of this is amazing to me, because I know that I was very young when Papa was alive. I also remember his cataracts being in a jar in the desk under the front window, and the silver Christmas Tree with four colored light and pink balls. I remember my toys, that are now in a cabinet at my house.

I'm proud to say I remember all these things.....

Pam

5 comments:

  1. I remember the candy jar on the coffee table, Granny cutting ice cream (neopolitan) for us with that wooden handle butcher (big ass) knife, doilies all around under lamps, yes the washer and dryer were green, the lamps had drawer like handle knobby things on them, pulling the on/off switch on her TV, me hating to drive to Point to go see Granny (too far of a drive), sitting in the hospital at Lake Point in the hall with Granny in a wheel chair, tying bacon on the string and Granny cutting it for us with that BA knife, good memories Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot about the knife....but now that you mention it, I do remember! And by the way, as long as you were in the FRONT SEAT you'd go anywhere, it was the back seat you hated! And would even puke to make your point...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat post! I remember the rickety rocking chair (the one I have in the garage) that sank down when you sat in it. The big box/console TV in the living room. All the wooden toys. All the green plants in the bedroom. The powdered milk. The vanilla, chocolate, and lemon cookies she kept in the freezer...my favorite! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the memories girls.
    Love you all!

    ReplyDelete