Today....while running around the mall, I go upstairs to the candy factory store, to get Dallas' favorite, and a few things for C and C as a surprise....I walk in, and at the same time, a young lady walks in with a little girl, about 2-3 on her hip..... I hear her tell the lady that works there she has a $40 budget for candy, and it's for her daughters birthday party game prizes. I am milling around, getting candy by the pound, she's picking out matching colors of candy, etc. As I sorta watch, the employee gets this and that for her and I am thinking NO WAY is she getting out for $40! Because the candy is by the pound, so it's hard a tell just how much things will cost. A couple of times she asks the lady if she's close to $40, and the lady says....should be okay, should be okay.... After she picks it all out, and says, "maybe I should just get a bag from Target instead". Then she says, no I want this to be special for your sisters (she's saying it to the baby). I take note of the "s" at the end of sister, which makes my heart sing, as I think of twins girls, and a a birthday party..... She heads up to the scales/register, just as I am as well. I hear the employee say $62.03. The young lady says, I can't spend that much, we'll have to put some back. Then, She says Oooohhhhh, do you have a military discount? The employee says "no, sorry.". She stands for just a minute and says, okay, go ahead, it's going to be fun, so it 's worth it.
I can't stay silent another second.....I ask if her husband is military, she turns to me and says yes.... I ask "so, where's their Daddy at?". She looks at me with heavy tears in her eyes and says Iraq. I thought my heart would burst....she turned back to the register, digging cash and counting change from her purse....I put my candy on the scale with hers and said, "I've got it....". She said, that's very sweet, but it's okay, really. I said.....I insist, and as I paid for a mound of candy, both hers and mine, she cried big tears standing beside me, and was shaking as she said "thank you!!!!". I replied.......NO, thank you for what you give up....I hope the party is wonderful, hug your daughters from me, a stranger at the mall..... She hugged me and I walked out, with my candy, and a smile.
Sometimes it just feels right, to make someone's day.....thanks to the stranger at the mall for making my day!
Pam
I am with you on that one. Good job Pam.
ReplyDeleteSooo sweet!!! Love it!!
ReplyDeleteMade me cry! Thank you for being such a good person.
ReplyDelete