Sunday, April 4, 2010

Can't believe it's been 16 years!

I can hardly believe that it's been 16 years today, since Chelsey and Colby made their early arrival. A few memories of this day.....first of all, I've NEVER, in 16 years, worked on their birthday. Now, I will say that I've never been unemployed on this day, until this year, but just the same, I always take a vacation day on April 4th, if it falls on a week day. I can tell you that I wore by white "It's Twins" T-Shirt, 16 years ago today, which was stained, stretched and had holes in it. I can tell you that Danny worked all day, and I felt kinda weird all day. I did not feel like moving, much less cleaning....so no "nesting" feelings for me. Danny arrived home from work and I started having pains. I really thought it was just false labor, as we'd already made a false alarm run to the hospital 2 days prior. We called the doctor, and he said "better safe" to come on in, so they could check me out. I remember thinking I was going to have them on the way to the hospital. Danny kept saying "it's okay, it's okay, I'm hurrying." We arrive, I walk in, Danny says "I think they are coming now!" They run and get a wheel chair, whisk us to a room, this is 7:20-7:25pm or so.... After they put on the fetal monitor, both of the kids are in distress, and Chelsey heart beat is not good at all....the decision is made to knock me out and take them by emergency C-Section NOW. So....in less than 15 minutes, both of the kids are born, Danny watches, and he rides with them from Baylor Garland to Baylor Dallas in an ambulance. I can just barely remember someone bringing them in for me to see, in islets, before they whisked them away. 3 days later, I am released and Danny takes me to see the kids. I remember being nervous, excited and scared to death all at once. With wires EVERYWHERE, my little bundles of joy looked so helpless. I couldn't stop the tears as I saw them for the first time. Danny cried, the nurses cried, but neither Colby or Chelsey cried, because their tear ducts were not developed yet. After many scares, both finally came home at the end of April, though not on the same day. A huge storm, with tornadoes blew thru while they were in the hospital as well. It's a time I shall never forget, but also one I never want to go thru again. Someday I want to go back to the NICU at Baylor, and I know the nurses that cared for the kids are probably not there anymore, but I want to tell a parent, who's crying and worrying over their tiny baby, that they are at one of the best places in the world.... I may go on the kids 18th birthday, or maybe even after that, but one day on April 4th, I shall return, just once... Happy Birthday Colby and Chelsey, I love you bunches!

No comments:

Post a Comment